Monday, May 16, 2011

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy By Douglas Adams

It's a funny story, how I found out about The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I was sitting at a rest stop (in Delaware!) and I asked my mom a question that she didn't know the answer to. She told me the answer was "42" (Yes that was a very odd answer). Then she started to tell me about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Their are five books in the series. Book 1: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Book 2: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Book 3: Life, the Universe and Everything. Book 4: So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish. Book 5: Young Zaphod Plays it Safe.

The book is laugh out loud funny. I wanted to read almost every other line out loud to someone because it was so funny. One of my favorite jokes is that humans are only the third most intelligent species in the galaxy. The most intelligent species is mice, followed by dolphins, and then us. The whole book is about a man named Arthur Dent who gets lifted off of Earth (right before it explodes) by his good friend Ford Perfect. Ford is really an alien from Belelgeuse (not from Guildford like he told Arthur before) which is some weird spot in the universe. If I were to rate this book on a funniness scale from 1-10 I would give it an 11.

I think my favorite character is Trillian. Trillian is a human who (randomly) got picked up by Zaphod Beetlebrox (President of the Universe) for no apparent reason and now she is his girlfriend. What I find funny is that Arthur tried to "pick her up" at a party, when Zaphod blew up the place and unexpectedly picked up Trillian. The two things she managed to keep from Earth were two white mice that she cherished, because they were the only things that she managed to save from her home.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a very funny book and I hope you love this book as much as I did!

This is a picture of a book with all five books in it.

2 comments:

  1. Great review, Maggie! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - you're right - it's very funny!

    My husband and I have been trying to convince our teen son to read these books. We were telling him about 42, just like your mom did with you!!

    I don't know if you've seen the movie but it wasn't very good - the books are much, much funnier. Glad you enjoyed them.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo many people love this book so much; one of these days I have to read it, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete